The American Dance Therapy Association, founded in 1966, defines dance/movement therapy (DMT) as the “psychotherapeutic use of movement to further the emotional, cognitive, physical and social integration of the individual” (adta.org). Research shows that movement can open nerve pathways between the brain and body and impact growth and development during all life stages. Dance/movement therapy is a unique form of psychotherapy that is founded on strengthening this body- mind connection.
What to expect in a session
- Individualized therapy provided by a board certified dance/movement therapist who also has a license in professional counseling.
- Dance/movement therapy can be adapted for all ages, sexes and mental and physical abilities.
- No dance experience necessary.
- Healing of the whole person by incorporating movement, creative process, and verbal communication.
- Gain access to emotions and issues that might be hard to talk about in verbal therapy.
- Learn to use movement as a means for self-expression, insight, and behavioral change.
Benefits of DMT
- Improve your self-expression and growth
- Strengthen your mind- body connection
- Learn body-based techniques to improve your focus, reduce anxiety, and increase relaxation